When the unexpected happens, it is important to follow the following steps to minimize the impact to yourself and/or your business as well as ensure a speedy claims process.
- Report the incident to us by phone, fax or email within 24 hours of the incident.
- Regardless of whether or not the claim has been reported or a loss assessor appointed, you must immediately do whatever is necessary to prevent further loss of life or property damage. For example:
- Call the fire brigade, ambulance, police or other appropriate emergency service.
If necessary, ensure the evacuation of staff and neighbours.
- If critical machinery fails, commence investigations to locate replacement plant or services.
- Have a security company install boarding over smashed windows and, if appropriate, employ an overnight security watchman.
- Remove property that is exposed to further loss or damage to a more secure place if possible.
- Providing no danger to life or limb is involved, ensure the safe removal and storage of vital business records.
- Our office will provide you with information on how to lodge your claim. Most Domestic type policies including Home and Motor Vehicle Insurance do not require you to complete a written claim form and these claims can be lodged over the phone.
- If written claim forms are required, complete all claims documentation as soon as possible and return to us with any supporting documents.
- Whatever the circumstances of the incident, DO NOT ADMIT LIABILITY EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU ARE AT FAULT. Your Insurer is entitled to deny a claim or pay a reduced amount if statements made by you or your employees prejudice the Insurer’s position.